Growing the Desert Garden

Welcome to the Desert Garden, with garden coach Tyler Storey, where we talk about everything having to do with gardening and landscaping in the Desert Southwest. From composting to Cercidium and agaves to arugula — we'll cover everything you want to know to grow your own beautiful Desert Garden.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Citrus Month in the Desert Garden

January is pretty much prime citrus season, with most of our citrus fruit in the Desert Garden either just past, at its peak, or about to ripen. So it seems like a good time to declare Citrus Month here at The Desert Garden blog. Over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing information about a number of different citrus varieties. As citrus are one of the prime groups of desert and warm-climate landscape edibles, it's a shame how much of it goes to waste uneaten. So, as part of Citrus Month, I'll throw in a few recipes, each one of them carefully tested and perfected on unsuspecting guests here at The Ranch; no worries: they all lived. If you have questions about particular citrus varieties or other issues, let me know and I'll try to work that in as well.
Tyler

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tyler
Keep on with the citrus posts! I live in Curacao, in the Southern Caribbean. This is our rainy season, but usually it is quite dry. So, I quite enjoy your blog. Inspired by my Spanish experience I started a citrus garden 4 years ago in alkaline soil, using home made compost. I have a few questions:
1. my lime tree got lots of flowers, but the little limes fell off right away. I potted a new lime tree, but it also loses its fruit. Any ideas?
2. the mandarin tree produces a lot one year and almost none the next. Its growth (and that of the fruit) seems to be stunted this year. Any ideas?

Thank you.
Tamy